■Preparations - Syringes
Syringes are medical instruments for the intravenous administration of active ingredient solutions. They can be inspected individually together with vials, ampoules and carpules in mixed blisters (trays) or on labelling machines. However, mixed blisters are often equipped with syringe, ampoule/vial with the active ingredient as well as package insert. Due to the multitude of error sources, especially with three-part syringes, as well as the often present transparency and low contrast, this is a particularly demanding product for inspection.
Types of syringes:
- Disposable syringe / single-use syringe
- Reusable syringe
Syringes that are already filled with medication show different reflections due to the different viscosities of the liquids they contain. Here, the contrast can be increased by using optical colour filters.
The majority of syringes are made of colourless transparent or milky material, mostly plastic. This makes it difficult to see the insertion depth of the plunger in the barrel. This is compensated for by measuring the object distances and the circumference.
Since hypodermic syringes are very sensitive to breakage, the trays are usually specially shaped for the corresponding syringe or placed in the blister with little movement by means of necks and grooves. This is where scanware’s automatic learning run shines, which automatically recognises the blister geometry and independently detects syringe components such as plunger plate, needle and needle guard etc. based on good samples. In addition, the position in the tray is not exact and congruent due to deviations in the feed. The system must allow for movement tolerances here and track the inspection areas.
Due to the large number of error sources, it makes sense to analyse rejects in order to correct the products if necessary and feed them back into the packaging process. Comprehensive analysis options such as those offered by scanware are enormously helpful here.
■Recommended system for the inspection of syringes
For you as a customer, the artificial intelligence-based system for parenterals PATERA offers the perfect solution.
Highlights of the PATERA Parenterals inspection system
- Fast product changeover with maximum inspection reliability, as label and syringe are inspected in parallel, even with mixed blisters
- The user interface is easy to use and customisable to the operator. This includes Alert View – central placement of system messages – as well as gesture control
- True colour recognition with up to 16 million colours and 2,100 images per minute can reliably inspect even the most demanding product-tray combinations, both in mixed blisters and individually
- Comprehensive analysis tools to evaluate error sources and frequencies and to optimise the packaging and production line
The following criteria can be inspected:
- Quality of needle cap and finger grips
- Condition of finger grips and pistons
- Distance from plunger rod to finger grips
- Label presence
With pleasure we arrange an appointment with you for a personal discussion.