■Codes – DataMatrix
The DataMatrix code is the most common two-dimensional coding in the pharmaceutical sector, but is also used in the food and cosmetics industries. Worldwide and independent of industry, the application is diverse, from embossing in metal for lifetime readability, for example in aviation, but also in the textile industry, for example in Russia. The importance of the square or rectangular Data Matrix code, especially in the marking of medicines and track and trace, is immense for pharmaceutical companies and contract packagers.
Every DataMatrix code has the same basic structure. The quadrant or rectangle is delimited on two sides by lines forming an L, and on the other sides by broken lines. These allow the orientation of the code to be read correctly from any angle. A quiet zone of at least one column and line is needed around the entire code, but four times that is better. DataMatrix with large amounts of data are also divided into data fields. Compared to one-dimensional barcodes, error correction is easier with DataMatrix, which increases readability, even with low contrast. In addition, the code is more secure and compact with larger amounts of binary information contained. For example, an ECC 200 barcode with an edge length of 1.51 cm can encode 127 alphanumeric characters. Other typical 2D barcodes are QR codes, Aztec, PDF417, which however play a minor role in the packaging industry.
GS1 Data Matrix
In the medical sector, standardisation with GS1 has established itself as the standard. Through this ISO standardisation, the two-dimensional barcodes are always internationally readable in the same way, as the first information unit encodes the standardised type of data that follows.
■Recommended system for the inspection of DataMatrix codes
intelligent cameras, data matrix barcodes can be read independently of the angle of rotation and also in motion. The reading head can be in a fixed position.
Depending on the system and the intended use, scanware offers simple 2D code reading or complete print image control. In addition, a range of solutions specially developed for Track & Trace in accordance with EU Directive 2011/62/EU is available.
Highlights of the inspection system SIGNUM Codes
- Intuitive, user-oriented operation as well as guided learning run for a quick start of work on the line. In addition, no prior knowledge of coding is necessary.
- Reading of relevant areas enables very high reading speed of up to 80 barcodes/second
- Reading independent of rotational position at transport speeds of up to 6m/s
- Different designs for precise integration into your system
Highlights of the SIGNUM Print inspection system
- The high-performance, format-free greyscale system offers high speed, integrated illumination and outstanding software
- Fast evaluation through intelligent character library
- Multiple camera system for inspection of large-area print images
- Automatic learn run and error analysis in format test as well as mask shifting
Highlights of the CAPA Track & Trace series
- The series is designed for all serialisation steps from folding box to bundle and display carton via shipping box to pallet
- Data handling, serialisation, aggregation and rework are included in scanware software
- As a built-in solution or modular, robust, mobile and ergonomic design
With pleasure we arrange an appointment with you for a personal discussion.